Sunday, May 6, 2012
Reflection on "Challenges"...
So my principal and I talked about the challenges that have come up and will continue to come up with opposition to bilingual education and the need for English Immersion. My principal and I are on the same page and agree that English Immersion would work best, but she reminded me that bilingual education is the law and if we don’t follow it we could lose our bilingual funding. So with that I had to look at my action research study and make sure that I’m not too aggressive or ambitious with the plan. I am very passionate about English Immersion and I’m biased for it for personal reasons as I was once an immigrant child sitting in class trying to learn English. The method used on me was immersion, at the time I was in an ESL program so it was completely legal, but I learned and I am not scarred by it nor do I need therapy and I wasn’t messed up academically like Cummins study of English acquisition states that a child must be strong in their native language before they can learn another language or else they wont acquire English. I learned and came away pretty well! I am fluent in both languages and really didn’t learn academic Spanish until college! So I will continue to research what Atwater school district in California is doing and hopefully one day I can present this to legislators in Austin in hope for an English Immersion movement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment