How will you know whether you have been successful? Will you only examine achievement data or will you interview teachers? How many students will you work with? How will you document the strategies and interventions field-tested? These are just a few questions I have from reading your plan. Thanks, Dr. Mason
This action research study will actually take years to see the results. It needs to be data driven and the way to know if I have been successful would be by looking at TELPAS and STAAR results from the 4-10 kids being studied. I have to keep the numbers small so that I don't lose focus and overwhelm myself with teaching and conducting this research. Of course no one knows a student better than his/her teacher so I will interview the teachers and see how the students are doing on their English reading levels. I plan to use the same strategies that California school district, Atwater, has been using for the past 15 years and have been successful with. They use phonics and word sounds teaching for the whole 1st year that a student is in the U.S. and the 2nd year they mainstream the student into all English classes but give the student clarification in Spanish if its needed. By the third year the student is completely mainstreamed into all English classes. Thank you Dr. Mason for posing those questions as they helped me to reflect on how to implement this study.
How will you know whether you have been successful? Will you only examine achievement data or will you interview teachers? How many students will you work with? How will you document the strategies and interventions field-tested?
ReplyDeleteThese are just a few questions I have from reading your plan.
Thanks,
Dr. Mason
This action research study will actually take years to see the results. It needs to be data driven and the way to know if I have been successful would be by looking at TELPAS and STAAR results from the 4-10 kids being studied. I have to keep the numbers small so that I don't lose focus and overwhelm myself with teaching and conducting this research. Of course no one knows a student better than his/her teacher so I will interview the teachers and see how the students are doing on their English reading levels. I plan to use the same strategies that California school district, Atwater, has been using for the past 15 years and have been successful with. They use phonics and word sounds teaching for the whole 1st year that a student is in the U.S. and the 2nd year they mainstream the student into all English classes but give the student clarification in Spanish if its needed. By the third year the student is completely mainstreamed into all English classes. Thank you Dr. Mason for posing those questions as they helped me to reflect on how to implement this study.
Delete